Now open for applications — Apply now!
From an idea to a skill, everyone has something to offer those around them.
The act of sharing these gifts is at the heart of building community and a sense of togetherness.
As how we meet and gather continues to evolve, we are offering funding to support your projects that spark new relationships between community members, create opportunities for social connection, and inspire community resilience from a distance.
About the Inspiring Community grant
This special cycle of the UTown@UBC Community Grant Program provides up to $500 for small community-building projects that can be done from a distance.
UTown@UBC, part of UBC Campus + Community Planning, provides these grants in collaboration with the Vancouver Foundation’s Neighbourhood Small Grants (NSG). Our grant is one of the many granting programs in a regional network of community organizations that serve neighbourhoods across British Columbia.
We acknowledge that the UBC Vancouver campus is situated within the traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), and that grant projects may take place across other Indigenous lands and traditional territories.
Who can apply
- Students, faculty, staff at UBC Vancouver, or neighbourhood residents of Musqueam, University Neighbourhood Association (UNA), or Acadia Park.
- If you are not eligible or are a member of the UBC Okanagan community, be sure to look look through the NSG network for a neighbourhood grant program in your community.
This grant is intended to fund new project ideas that inspire others with a sense of community connection and involvement while achieving the following outcomes:
- Create new relationships and opportunities to meet between UBC, UNA, Musqueam community members
- Facilitate community-led cultural, knowledge or skill exchange
- Offer fun and unique experience for community members to get involved in their community.
All projects must adhere to UBC and BC Government's public safety guidelines around COVID-19 and physical distancing. While we understand restrictions may change, this grant will not fund any projects that bring people together for in-person interactions.
Get inspired from past grant projects!
Since 2016, this grant has funded over 180 projects by students, faculty, residents and staff from the UBC community. Find out about previously awarded UTown@UBC grant projects. For stories from project leaders across the NSG network, see the collection of Stories From Next Door.
Interested in applying? Here's what you need to know:
Please read through these guidelines to ensure this grant can fund your project.
- Funded projects must be completed by September 30, 2021.
- Recipients must submit a report and original receipts of all expenses upon completing project.
- Projects must prioritize participation for members of the UBC Vancouver, Musqueam, UNA and Acadia Park communities. Online participation can be open to the general public if spaces remain.
- Preference for funding will be given to new project ideas.
- Applicants may only receive funding for one project per cycle. Past applicants may apply once reporting requirements for the prior project are fulfilled.
- A project may only be awarded a grant from UTown@UBC or NSG, and not both.
- Any unused funds must be returned to Campus and Community Planning at the end of the grant cycle. Instructions will be provided.
Eligible expenses — this grant will fund:
- This grant is to offset expenses to carry out your project. You can spend it on: supplies, transportation, acknowledging services provided by others (see honoraria below).
- Honoraria: Each project can budget up to $350 towards honoraria to pay for services provided by others, with a maximum of $100 to each individual. Please list the name(s) of the recipient(s) in the budget.
- We encourage project leaders to shop local with their grant funds and make sustainable purchases, as well as look for opportunities to rent and borrow instead of purchase.
Ineligible expenses — this grant is unable to fund:
- Retroactive expenses (project can only begin after the grant is awarded and accepted).
- Costs that would typically be covered by other UBC departmental budgets
- On-going operational or core expenses
- Equipment and furniture purchases
- Applicants cannot profit financially from their projects or award themselves an honorarium
Now open for applications!
Completed applications will be accepted and reviewed on an on-going basis until September 8, 2021, or until funding has been fully subscribed.
After you apply, your application will be reviewed by a Grant Selection Committee comprised of past grant recipients and community members. Please allow for at least 10 business days for a decision on your application.
Questions or comments?
Feel free to contact us before you apply — we are here to help answer questions about your project ideas, the application process and anything else!
Please reach out to: email@example.com.