Thank you to all the kids and families who joined us for Kids Take Over UBC 2021!
We had a blast and look forward to next year's take over!
The 4th annual Kids Take Over UBC! returns February 13-15. Celebrate home is where the art is as you enjoy three days of online programming from the comforts of anywhere you live.
Open to all ages, you’ll find participatory musical events and performances, family-friendly theatre, hands-on workshops and so much more! More than 14 different departments and units at UBC will entertain, inspire and educate you all weekend long. Find the activities you want to do by clicking through the rooms in the Kids Take Over TREEHOUSE, then register for FREE to access to all the fun on family day weekend!
Kids Take Over UBC! is an open-door arts and culture festival for UBC families and the wider audience in Metro Vancouver to enjoy UBC’s world-class assets and public spaces together, while interacting with artists, musicians, dancers and more. Held annually on Family Day weekend, the event was inspired by Takeover Day, first launched in the UK to celebrate children and young people’s contributions to museums, galleries, arts organizations, archives and heritage sites.
How much are tickets?
This year, Kids Take Over UBC is free for everyone. Registration is required though; please register by Feb. 10.
Who can register for Kids Take Over UBC?
The event is free for everyone! We look forward to having UBC Families (students, faculty, staff, alumni), UNA and Acadia residents, Musqueam community members join us, and also other families that live in Metro Vancouver and beyond! You'll find activities for all-ages, from babies to kids (with adult supervision) and also youths! We think adults would enjoy participating too!
How does it work?
Once you are registered, you will receive an email a few days before the start of the event. The email will include a password and a link to a password-protected webpage containing all the links to the online programming (as listed in the treehouse). You can choose which activities to explore on your own time between Feb.13-15.
Make sure you set aside time on family day weekend to enjoy the activities because after Feb.15, the password-protected activity page will disappear.
What are the LIVE online, on-site, and limited spots activities?
These activities will not be shared in the password-protected page. If you would like to participate in these activities, please check them off in your registration:
- Live online sessions happen virtually at a scheduled date and time (in PST). Access will be provided in a separate email with the link and instructions.
- Live on-site sessions are in-person and will require additional advanced timed booking through the site's system (no walk-ins will be allowed). All participants will be required to follow the site's COVID-19 health and safety protocols. Instructions will be provided in a separate email. Please note that these on-site sessions have limited spots and will be available on a first come first served.
- Some activities have limited spots and will be available on a first come first served.
What level of adult supervision is needed for children to participate in the event activities?
For all Kids Take Over UBC activities, please supervise your child's participation at all times. While adults are not required to participate, we welcome you to join in and enjoy the experience altogether. For on-site activities, participants 12 years old and under must be accompanied by an adult.
Who puts on Kids Take Over UBC?
Kids Take Over UBC is co-hosted by UTown@UBC (part of UBC Campus + Community Planning) and UBC Arts & Culture District. We wouldn't be able to offer the wide variety of extraordinary and unique programming without the help of our incredible event partners that span across different UBC departments and units and the community:
- Beaty Biodiversity Museum
- Museum of Anthropology (MOA)
- Shadows, Strings & Other Things (Faculty of Arts, Department of Anthropology and MOA)
- Active Kids - School of Kinesiology
- UBC Food Services
- UBC Recreation
- UBC Camps
- UBC Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Let's Talk Science UBC
- Morris and Helen Belkin Art Gallery
- School of Music
- UBC Department of Theatre & Film
- UBC First Nations House of Learning
- University Neighbourhoods Association (UNA)
Check out all activitiy offerings by our partners at kidstakeover.ubc.ca. Many partners also host events and programming year-round, so be sure to check them out!