Chef David Speight! (UBC Food Services)
After a hard-fought culinary battle, Chef David Speight emerged victorious, but I think the guests would agree that all three chefs put out some amazing dishes! I'll be dreaming about Chef Ryan Bissell's umami tuna for a while, and the Guiness-braised lamb sliders from Chef Holly Seeger (Mahony and Sons) were a huge hit!
If you didn't get a chance to come out to Chef Challenge, here's what you missed:
UBC Food Services
- UBC'eviche: local Haida Gwaii halibut & scallops, lime, avocado, mango cilantro salsa
- Caramelized pear and gorgonzola pizzette: roasted garlic, fresh thyme, herbed Okanagan, goat cheese, citrus scented UBC Farms arugula
- Crispy fried pork belly slider with pickled carrots & daikon, harissa mayo, cilantro pistou, brioche bun
- Umami tuna: Smoked local albacore tuna with dashi gel, caper emulsion and nori crisp and micro basil
- Potato and egg: Pemberton potato with cured egg yolk, capers, UBC farms lovage mayo, smoked salt and parsley
- Bahn Mi: house made pork terrine (made with pork from paradise valley farms), pate, pickled vegetables, hoisin and cilantro
Mahony and Sons
- Fresh salmon over a European-style rye bread with a cucumber cream cheese spread
- Sweet & Spicy summer salsa:UBC Farm Blueberries, Strawberries , Mangos, Red onions, Jalapeños on Pita bread
- Guiness lamb sliders: Leg of lamb, Brioche slider buns, UBC farm arugula, goat cheese and fennel relish
I'm getting hungry just looking at this menu...I wonder if there are any more of those sliders left...
We hope to see you at next year's Chef Challenge, and if you can't wait until then to sample some delicious dishes prepared by Chef Bissell and Chef Speight, be sure to check back soon for information on our upcoming Centennial Harvest Feast--a long-table dinner on Main Mall with 1000 of your closest friends coming to campus September 24th!