It’s been a busy and successful year at UTown@UBC, and as it comes to a close, it is great to look back on 2013 and reflect on some of the milestones that have taken place in the community! This year, we’ve introduced new programs, expanded on some old favourites, and welcomed new residents to our growing campus community.
While I didn’t manage to put together a video-letter like this one to reflect on the past year (sorry, but I haven’t bought my Christmas jammies yet), here are a few of these UTown@UBC milestones for 2013:
- Introduced the UTown@UBC Youth Fit Program to the community in Spring 2013; this program was developed based on a successful community grant awarded the previous year. We were very fortunate to have the wonderful students and staff at the UBC School of Kinesiology jump on board and coordinate Youth Fit as well as Kids Fit. Huge thanks to the awesome student instructors from the School of Kinesiology; you truly made this program a huge success! In fact, we ended up extending it from the spring into summer!
- Promoted safe, active and sustainable transportation on campus, with the launch of Walk ‘n Roll to School Celebration Week in May 2013. The program was so successful, that we re-launched it in the fall as part of International Walk to School Week. From October 7-11, the UTown@UBC community joined millions of walkers from over 40 countries around the world in walking and riding to school.
- Awarded over $21,000 in UTown@UBC Community Grants, helping residents turn their community-building ideas into a reality. From the UBC Bike Rave, to a performance from the Green College Players, to a youth music ensemble, and more, community grant projects helped bring people together and allowed residents to share their talents and interests with one another. We can’t wait to see what you have in store in the upcoming year!
- Celebrated our second annual UTown@UBC Summer Festival! This time, we teamed up with UBC REC to put on a sports-day themed event, with residents taking part in physical and mental challenges while enjoying a free BBQ and getting to know one another.
- Launched this website! (Yay!) UTown@UBC now has a home online!
- Welcomed new residents to the UTown@UBC community, as the Wesbrook Place neighbourhood continues to grow.
- Took advantage of the beautiful summer weather and introduced Outdoor Movie Night with the UNA and Wesbrook Village in August. Residents gathered to watch Jurassic Park with an open sky and the trees of Pacific Spirit Park providing a very appropriate backdrop!
- Celebrated the opening of the first on-campus skatepark in North America! Jointly supported by the UNA and UBC, the skatepark has quickly become a favourite UTown@UBC amenity. In June, an official skatepark opening was held, featuring ribbon-cutting, high-flying stunts and demos by pro BMXers and skateboarders, and of course, lots of cake!
- UTown@UBC and the UNA committed to increasing youth-oriented programs on campus by hiring Andrew Clements as Youth Program Coordinator to coordinate and deliver the UTown@UBC Youth Leadership Program. We look forward to seeing youth in the community continue to develop valuable leadership skills and become actively engaged in their campus community.
- Sponsored a concert series called Music on the Point: Concerts with Personality, with the UBC School of Music. The concerts feature School of Music professors performing and offering glimpses of life inside the music, with commentary between sets. A great concert series for anyone who appreciates classical music, particularly novices to the genre (myself included).
- Participated in numerous campus and community events, including Wesbrook Festival, UNA Barn Raising, UBC Grand Prix, Apple Fest and more!
We’d like to offer huge thanks to the residents and community partners who have made 2013 such a great year, and who have helped us build community on campus. I have very much enjoyed my first year getting to know the UTown@UBC community, and am so thankful to have been welcomed into it!
On behalf of everyone at C+CP, I wish you a safe and happy holiday season. We look forward to kicking off 2014 with you, and to continuing to make this a great place to live, work and learn!
Check out the photo gallery below and see what a year at UTown@UBC looks like!